Parris Island Marine Corps Recruit Depot - PI
This is where it all begins. Young men and women are transformed into Marines. Parris Island started out being a Navy station back in 1889 and grew into the Marine Corps Recruit Training Depot after the Navy moved it's operation to Charleston, SC. Training of enlisted male recruits began in November of 1915 and for enlisted female recruits in February of 1949. All new recruits east of the Mississippi River receive their 12 weeks of basic training here. More than 120,000 people visit Parris Island a year, making it one of the most visited military facilities in the world. Parris Island received the Commander in Chief's Excellence Award in 1990 as being the best installation in the Marine Corps.
Douglas Visitors' Center
The Douglas Visitors’ Center is the initial point of contact for most visitors. The center is named after Paul H. Douglas who in 1942 at the age of 50 was the oldest recruit to complete basic training. He went on to become a lieutenant colonel in 1946, at which time he left the Marine Corps to become a U.S. Senator in Illinois.
Known Marine - by Gene Roberts, a former Marine DI.
On April 24, 1999, The "Known Marine" was officially dedicated to the Drill Instructors of the US Marine Corps on Parris Island. It features a bronze male and female DI figure and a granite stone centerpiece with a engraving of the drill instructor's creed. Two brass footprints at the center of the monuments base represent the historic yellow footprints where all new recruits place their feet.
Iwo Jima Monument - by Felix del Weldon
Commemorates the heroic raising of the American flag on Mt. Surabachi in 1945. It was sculpted by Felix del Weldon, who used it as the prototype for the world famous "Iwo Jima" official monument in Washington DC.